Friday, August 27, 2010

NEITHER HERE NOR THERE: THE AMERICAN IMMIGRANT

There's a Dutch society in southern cal that has periodic gatherings..I noticed it when I was looking for places to watch the dutch playing in the world cup (with other dutchman in los angeles)...but I realized in some regards I don't have much in common w/ true dutchmen (from netherlands) if they think of me as american & themselves as "true dutch."

Its like some of the latinos here in los angeles think of themselves as "mexican" but when they go to mexico, the "true mexicans" think of them as "latino americans", not mexican ..it reminds me of a book I read when I was trying to understand the immigrant experience called "NEITHER HERE NOR THERE" (I would be glad to be accepted as american but I don't have an "american name" I.e. davis, webb, powers, steel, etc..the typical cop names who declare themselvs true americans by virtue of their name) ...so some of us "dutch" remain "dutch" in America all our lives, but aren't considered dutch by dutch either.

Posted via email from hearingtheword2's posterous