Tuesday, September 28, 2010

9/28/10 Re NIT-PICKING INSIDE A PUBLIC SCHOOL

So 1st period had JUST BEGUN when a student-messenger from the college center came in & asked me to takr the class to the college center for a presentation. I knew nothing about it nor did the teacher leave any instructions about it, so it apparently wasn't on the calendar, but Ms. Walling in the career center  apparently decided otherwise...so I took the class there & it was outdoors by some picnic tables. The kids sat down on the benches & I sat on top of the table in the back (not blocking anybody) so I could see the kids & help Ms. Walling if they were not cooperative. Suddenly, she says LOUDLY, "Sir, please don't sit on the table. You're setting a bad example." What the ----?! I couldn't believe it. I'm NOT a kid. Just like when a kid says to me , "I thought we couldn't use cellphones at school?" when I periodically use my own phone in the classroom, I say, "That's right, YOU CANNOT, because YOU are a kid. I'm NOT A Kid." & I'm not using it to call my girlfriend just to chat , ha ha. But really, maintaining control in the classroom takes a vvariety of techniques, esp as a sub, including physical motion & positioning in some cases, & sometimes "elevating" yourself slightly above them helps, such as sitting on top of the table in some cases. I think she was looking for something to nitpick about to reduce her insecurities. I figured that was what was going on at the other school as well. Some of the office workers are insecure...in some cases because they don't have enough to do & wonder why thet get paid so much to do nothing when the teachers are so busy & getting paid so much less. So they go "belly up" & start nitpicking . So I left her a long hand-written note about it. Some of them keep thinking that I'm in this for the money & better keep my mouth shut or I will lose my job, but that's not what its about for me.

Posted via email from hearingtheword2's posterous