Thursday, December 23, 2010

12/23/10 WHY "HAPPY HOLIDAYS" is INSULTING TO ME

WHY "HAPPY HOLIDAYS" is INSULTING TO ME:

December 25 is not merely a "government holiday." Its not just a day for postal workers and other government workers to take a break. It is specifically a day to remember the birth of Jesus. Yet some people have either intentionally chosen to say  or accepted the pressure to simply say, generically, "happy holidays." For me as a practicing Christian who worships Jesus and talks to Jesus in the middle of the night and other times, it is a slap in the face to have this specifically beautifully religious day turned into nothing more than "happy holiday" . When it is Ramadan even if I don't believe in it I would say "Happy Ramadan" to those who celebrate this holiday. When it is Hannukah if I bumped into a Jewish person I would respectfully wish them Happy Hannukah, and the list goes on.

Yet for the Christian holiday we are told that it is being "intolerant" to insist on saying "Merry Christmas." Why ?  There seems to be a misconception that Christianity is a powerful religion that already has status over all other religions. We have a powerful God, true, but its a fact that a lot of Christians are being persecuted all over the world and can't even openly practice their faith in some places. Its also true that more non-Christians keep coming to America and the more we assent to "pluralism" as a "religion" (meaning all religions are equal and none can or should celebrate themselves as unique or exclusive) the more we walk that slippery slope to Christianity becoming nothing special, nothing more than "another religion." And I would think every religion would be offended by the notion that their religion is "just another religion." By trying to please everybody, nobody is pleased, except secularists & pluralists whose religion is all religions & no religions (or modern government itself), offensive to the Christian God (who requires allegiance just like most wives expect allegiance from their husband) and I suppose also the gods other religions worship.

Posted via email from hearingtheword2's posterous